The Quran, the divine scripture of Islam, holds immense significance for Muslims worldwide. Its preservation and accurate recitation have been of utmost importance throughout history. A system of certification known as “ijazah” has been established to ensure the authenticity and proper transmission of the Quran.
Throughout this article, we will explore the significance of ijazahs, their role in preserving the Quran’s oral tradition, and their impact on individuals and the wider Muslim community. By delving into each type of ijazah, readers will gain a deeper appreciation for the multifaceted nature of Quranic studies and the dedication required to attain certification in different areas.
What is the Meaning of Ijazah?
Ijazah, also known as Sanad, is an Islamic term that refers to a certification or authorisation granted by a qualified teacher or scholar to a student who has successfully completed a course of study or mastery of a particular subject.
In the context of the Quran, an ijazah is a certificate or permission given by a qualified teacher (known as a “sanad holder”) to a student, attesting that the student has memorized the Quran with proper Tajweed and quran recitation.
The process of obtaining an ijazah typically involves the student reciting the entire Quran to the teacher, who listens carefully and assesses the student’s accuracy, fluency, and adherence to the rules of Tajweed. If the student meets the required standards, the teacher grants the ijazah, which serves as a testament to the student’s proficiency in reciting the Quran.
Ijazahs are often accompanied by a chain of transmission (sanad), which traces the authority and authenticity of the certification back to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) through a chain of qualified teachers. This chain of transmission adds an additional level of credibility to the ijazah, ensuring that the student’s recitation is in line with the correct recitation that has been passed down through generations.
Types of Ijazah
There are different types of ijazahs based on the level of mastery and the specific area of study. Here are a few common types of ijazahs:
Ijazah in Quran Memorization (Hifz)
This type of ijazah is granted to a student who has successfully memorised the entire Quran with proper Tajweed and recitation. It certifies that the student has preserved the entire Quran in their memory and can recite it accurately. Online Quran memorization classes are the best option for students.
Ijazah in Quran Recitation (Tilawah) with tajweed.
Ijazah in quran recitation type of ijazah is given to a student who has achieved a high level of proficiency in reciting the Quran with proper Tajweed rules and melodious recitation. It certifies that the student has mastered the various recitation styles (qira’at) and can recite the Quran with correct pronunciation, Tajweed, and rhythm.
This type of Ijazah is divided into four sub-types
- Quran Ijazah with one narration, such as the Ijaza with the narration of Hafs ‘an ‘Asim.
- Ijaza with seven Qira’at of ash-Shatibiyyah.
- Quran Ijazah with 3 Qira’at of Durrat Al-Maa’nia.
- Ijazah in 10 Qira’at of Tayyibat An-Nashr.
The Conditions Required to Receive Ijazah
A person who wants to obtain a license in the Holy Qur’an must fulfill some conditions, as follows:
- He must be fluent in reading the Holy Qur’an with one of its narrations ( Qira’at)
- It is essential for him to study tajweed (matn)
- He should be liscenced by one of the reciters or sheikhs who have obtained an Ijazah in the Qur’an, whether through reading from Mushaf or by heart.
- He must Study the ten readings.
- He must memorise the Book of the Quran thoroughly, without changing it by addition or deletion, so he read it as it was revealed.
- He must understand how to pause on the words and regard waqf/starting rules.
- He must pronounce the Arabic letters clearly from their articulation points.
- He must be righteous, not a sinner or insist on sins because when he obtains the license, he must be aware that he is responsible for memorising and teaching the Qur’an to others.
Importance of Ijazah
- The memorisation of the Noble Qur’an with mastery has a great status with ALLAH Almighty in terms of increasing rewards.
- Ijazah motivates the student to master the reading of the Qur’an in the best way. By sticking to the rules of Tajweed, he will deliver a correct reading free of errors.
- Receiving Ijazah qualifies the student to teach the Qur’an to others with confidence.
- Upon obtaining the license, the student would have connected its chain of narrators to our master Muhammad, may ALLAH bless him and grant him peace, and become part of the series of transmitters of the Qur’an with the connected chain of narrators. Thus, the licenced reader can transmit the Qur’an to others.
- The Holy Prophet also urged us to obtain the authorisation, which is evident through the honorable hadith on the authority of Abdullah bin Masoud; may ALLAH be pleased with him.
The Messenger of ALLAH , may ALLAH prayers and peace be upon him, said: “Recite the Qur’an to me.” I asked: Should I recite it to you and when it was revealed to you? He said, “I would love to hear it from someone else.”
Tips that Help You to Receive Ijazah
Those tips will greatly help in your journey to obtain ijazah
- You must constantly read it and review a good fixed part of it daily with your teacher.
- Read the Qur’an in the Sunnah; night, silent and loud prayers.
- Memorize the Quran after dawn is considered one of the best times to focus the best.
- Stick to good manners and follow the path of the Prophet, may ALLAH prayers and peace be upon him and the Companions.
- Adhere to Islamic knowledge, ponder the meanings and interpretation of the Qur’an, and master the rulings of the Qur’an.
Can I Receive Ijazah Online?
Yes, it is possible to receive ijazah online. With advancements in technology and the widespread availability of online platforms, many reputable institutions and qualified teachers now offer online programs for Quranic studies and ijazah certification.
Online ijazah course typically involve live virtual classes, one-on-one sessions with teachers, and assessments to evaluate the student’s proficiency. These programs often utilise video conferencing, online learning platforms, and recorded lessons to facilitate learning. Quran Spirit is one of the where you can learn Quran online at home with ijazah-qualified tutors.
However, it is important to ensure that the online institution or teacher offering the ijazah program is reputable and follows a rigorous curriculum. Look for programs with qualified and experienced teachers, a structured syllabus, and a transparent certification process. Researching reviews, testimonials, and the institution or teacher’s credentials can help make an informed decision.